Department Direct Ordering
Department Direct Ordering is the process that allows departments to order on account from vendors without involving Purchasing.
When to Use
When the total dollar amount of goods or services from a single vendor total less than $5,000.
Restrictions to Ordering Direct
- Capital Development Board purchases
- Radioactive or hazardous chemicals
- Ethyl Alcohol
- Furniture – a single item $500 or more
- Telecommunications equipment – phones, two-way radios, pagers, etc.
- Licensed vehicles or trailers
- Remodeling projects with outside contractors
- Weapons and ammunition
- Purchases with trade-ins
Things to Remember
Give the vendor your mail code and the name of who will be receiving the merchandise. Example:
117 Hovey Hall
Illinois State University
1220 Purchasing Office
Normal IL 61790-1220
- If the order is received correctly, promptly process payment by submitting an invoice-voucher (or electronic voucher) to 1200 Comptroller's Office with the vendor's invoice stapled to the back.
- Note: Orders may be placed on a personal credit card, but the user may be charged sales tax. The University will not reimburse for sales tax.