Purchasing Procedures & Dollar Thresholds
All purchases require Budget Officer (fiscal agent) approval. The dollar amount of the procurement governs the approval required to commit University funds.
The following rules apply:
- Budget Officers (fiscal agents), or their authorized designee, may purchase unrestricted items up to $4,999 without the involvement of the Purchasing Office. The $4,999 limit applies to any order to a single vendor and includes all shipping, handling or other charges. Orders $5,000 and over must be submitted to the Purchasing Office as a requisition.
- The Purchasing Office has authority, with the Budget Officer’s (fiscal agent’s) approval, to purchase up to $49,999 of merchandise or services.
- Purchases of $50,000 to $250,000 must have the concurrence of the Vice President of Finance and Planning for Illinois State University. The Purchasing Office seeks this approval.
- Purchases of $250,000 to $500,000 must have the concurrence of the President of Illinois State University. The Purchasing Office seeks this approval.
- The Board of Trustees must approve purchases over $500,000. The appropriate Vice President’s Office will prepare the Board resolution for the President's office to submit for approval at the Board of Trustees meeting.
- A Budget Officer (fiscal agent) or his or her authorized staff may make purchases up to $4,999 without the assistance of the Purchasing Office. If a vendor requests a hard copy purchase order for purchases under $5,000, departments may contact Purchasing about receiving pre-approval to submit a requisition.
- Stringing, or placing the same small order multiple times to avoid the $4,999 limit, is prohibited.